If you’re a fan of Balkan cuisine or simply enjoy exploring new and delicious recipes, then you’re in for a treat with the Sarajevski Cevapi recipe. Sarajevski Cevapi is a traditional Bosnian dish consisting of small, grilled sausages served with fresh bread and a side of onions. This savory dish is loved by many and is relatively easy to make. In this article, we will guide you through the step-by-step process of creating this mouthwatering delicacy.
Introduction to Sarajevski Cevapi
Sarajevski Cevapi is a traditional Bosnian dish that originated in Sarajevo, the capital city of Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is a beloved street food and a popular choice for family gatherings and festive occasions. The dish is known for its flavorful sausages, which are made from a mixture of ground beef, lamb, and a blend of spices.
Gathering the Ingredients
To make Sarajevski Cevapi, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Preparing the Cevapi Mixture
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef and ground lamb.
- Add the finely chopped onion, minced garlic, salt, black pepper, paprika, and baking soda.
- Mix all the ingredients together until well combined. You can use your hands or a spoon for this process.
Shaping the Cevapi
- Take a small portion of the cevapi mixture and roll it between your palms to form a cylindrical-shaped sausage. The size can vary depending on your preference, but they are typically about 2-3 inches long and 1/2 inch thick.
- Repeat the process until all the cevapi mixture is used, shaping them into sausages.
Grilling the Cevapi
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the cevapi sausages on the grill and cook for about 5-6 minutes per side, or until they are nicely browned and cooked through.
- Turn the sausages occasionally to ensure even cooking.
Serving and Enjoying Sarajevski Cevapi
- Remove the grilled cevapi from the heat and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess grease.
- Serve the cevapi with fresh, warm bread, preferably somun (Bosnian flatbread), and a side of diced onions.
- You can also accompany the dish with condiments like kajmak (a type of creamy cheese) or ajvar (a roasted red pepper relish) for added flavor.
In conclusion, Sarajevski Cevapi is a delectable Bosnian dish that can be enjoyed by anyone who appreciates rich and flavorful food. The combination of ground beef and lamb, along with the blend of spices, creates a mouthwatering experience. By following the simple steps outlined above, you can easily recreate this traditional Balkan dish in the comfort of your own kitchen.